get the lowdown on the plumbing trade
& home maintenance here.. need answers?
just ask ken

Monday, October 15, 2012

Do you do kitchen repairs? Is painted (not laminated or veneered) chipboard appropriate for use directly above an oven in a kitchen unit or might the exposure to heat and possible condensation from the oven beneath likely to damage the shelf? - Anon - Eastwood


Yes we most certainly complete works in the kitchen. We often undertake complete kitchen renovations for clients.

There are very strict rules on the clearances of combustible materials around a gas cooker or ovens.

Without knowing your cooker and application it would be difficult to advise you on your particular installation.

There are means in the code to overcome some of these clearance issues such as protecting the combustible surface with tiles or fire resistant materials.

It would be my recommendation that you have a licensed gas fitter advise you onsite with there being several different rules relating to this in the Australian gas code. We could offer this inspection and subsequent quotation for you at no charge.

- Ken 

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Is it mandatory for all mixer taps to be fitted with mini isolation valves? Our new house (circa 2010) does not appear to have any installed? Simon - Clarence Gardens

Hi Simon,

Fantastic question.

There is no specific reference in the Austrian Standards that suggests mini isolations need to be installed.


When not in contradiction of the Australian Standards as plumbers we should refer to the manufacturers recommendations. Most  manufactures recommend isolation valves are installed.

Refer this link for example:

See installation instructions important point 2.

It is common practice in our business to install these isolation valves as they are recommended by the manufacturer.

- Ken