get the lowdown on the plumbing trade
& home maintenance here.. need answers?
just ask ken

Monday, April 18, 2011

I have gas running to my house and would like to install a gas cooktop. What is the best way to do this? How much will it cost? Phil - Hove

Hi Phil,

Good question. We have requests to install gas cook tops regularly. Many people are not aware that plumbers are also gas fitters.

There are many points to consider when installing a cook top:

1) What is the mega joule rating of the cook top you require to have installed? This is important in determining:
A) If your existing gas service is the correct size to service your new appliance
B) The pipe sizing required to connect your appliance to your service.
Most cook tops have a small mega joule rating so I would expect your existing gas service could handle the addition of this appliance.

2) When considering cost it is first important to determine the type of cook top you require. We can supply a range of cook tops to suit any budget. You must also determine how you need the gas to be supplied to the unit. For example through cupboards, concealed in a wall cavity, chased in to a brick wall?

We would be more than happy to attend your home for a no obligation free quote to provide an insight in to the best way to get the job done for you.

You require a qualified plumber to complete this installation to test your gas service upon completion and issue a certificate of compliance.

- Ken